1. Add some wall-mounted bookshelves behind your sofa, as shown above. It's like a gallery wall on steroids: the possibilities are nearly endless.
2. Add an interesting rug (or rugs!).
3. Play with your lighting. Lamps don't always have to live on end tables: try an interesting floor lamp next to the sofa instead, like these swing-arm styles.
4. Another way to play with lighting is to dangle a pendant lamp a short distance above your coffee table. Makes the whole room more interestingand more intimate.
5. Fill a whole wall with a grid of rectangular frames for a big impact.
6. Shake things up a little with some off-center art.
7. Replace your coffee table with a group of interesting smaller tables.
8. Adding an oversized mobile will draw the eye up, and give your living room an interesting, dynamic feel.
9. Add a single brightly colored piece to a neutral room.
10. Make a big splash with a single, oversized piece of art.
11. Use wall-mounted shelves to create an eye-catching display for favorite books and favorite things to enliven an unused stretch of wall.
Re-edited from a post originally published 2.10.15-NT